- Why you should get your Chihuahua its own bed
- 8 Best Dog Beds For Chihuahua
- How to choose the best dog beds for Chihuahua
- My proven methods in giving Chihuahuas a good night’s sleep
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final words
Just because Chihuahuas are small doesn’t mean they don’t deserve a comfy bed. These canines need a cozy cot to rest their tired body. And as a territorial breed, it’s important for them to establish their territory to avoid conflict with other canines at home. This is why Chi owners should invest in the best dog beds for Chihuahua that deliver topnotch comfort and quality for a competitive price.
Below, I reviewed seven of the best dog beds that suit Chihuahuas well. See which one your Chi would love:
Why you should get your Chihuahua its own bed
Dog beds may seem like mere vanity for some pet owners. However, even for a small breed like Chihuahuas, dog beds play an important role that goes beyond comfort. Here are the reasons why you should invest in a comfy bed for your pet:
- It reduces stress on their joints. It’s uncomfortable to sleep on the floor, right? The same goes for your Chihuahua if you don’t give him a bed. A dog bed will help reduce the stress on your pet’s joints, especially as it ages.
- It trains your dog to sleep on its own. Another benefit of giving your dog its own bed is that you can actually teach your Chihuahua to sleep on its own. This will prevent the pooch from hijacking your own bedroom. This is crucial to raise a disciplined Chi.
- It keeps your Chihuahua warm. Since Chis have small bodies, they are quite prone to shivering on a cold day. A cozy bed will help them stay toasty, especially those with a bolstered design.
- It will protect your furniture. By giving your Chihuahua its own bed, most of the fur and dander will be concentrated in a single spot. While there will still be random dog fur on your furniture, it will be much less with a dog bed.
- It will give your Chihuahua quality sleep. Sick or aging Chihuahuas often suffer from disturbed sleep due to their pains and aches. With a dog bed, you can ease this pain to some level so that the doggo can have a better sleep.
8 Best Dog Beds For Chihuahua
OUR #1 CHOICE
OUR TOP PICK: Best Friends by Sheri Deep Dish OrthoComfort Cuddler
Product Name: Best Friends by Sheri Deep Dish OrthoComfort Cuddler
Product Description: When it comes to the best dog beds for Chihuahua, you’ll never go wrong with the Best Friends by Sheri Deep Dish OrthoComfort. This bed is stuffed with virgin AirLOFT fibers that give a plush and comfy feel. This filling is also three times more durable than used fibers you’ll find in other pet beds. On the outside, this bed is covered in Sherpa fabric. It’s soft, cozy, and perfect for cold climates. Still, it remains cool to sleep on, so your Chihuahua won’t bear the brunt of summer. Aside from that, this dog bed has a higher back wall that provides a hugging effect to your dog. It also provides your dog a place where it can burrow for safety. I also like the ‘Deep Dish’ feature of this dog bed that wraps around your Chihuahua’s body. Everything is double-stitched, so the cover can last multiple washes without tearing.
Offer price: $$$$
Value for Money
Moreover, this has a durable nylon backing that will repel dirt and moisture. The best part is that the entire bed can be machine-washed and machine-dried. It will come out of the wash clean and ready for your Chihuahua to enjoy. The bonus part here is that the Best Friends by Sheri OrthoComfort is available in multiple colors. It’s also made specifically for small breeds like Chihuahuas. My only gripe here is that the back wall is a bit floppy. Other than that, my Chi adores this bed, and it’s one of the affordable yet quality options in the market.
Made with virgin AirLOFT fiber filling It can be machine-washed and dried Raised back wall for a sense of safety Made specifically for small breeds Double-stitched cover for durability
The raised back wall is slightly floppy, and it doesn’t poof as expected. It doesn’t offer the best joint support, but it’s still a comfy dog bed.
Furhaven Round Snuggery Dog Bed
Another dog bed I recommend for Chihuahuas is the Furhaven Round Snuggery Dog Bed. It’s a bolstered type of bed made from faux fur, so it’s plush, warm, and cozy for small breeds.
Aside from that, this dog bed has a cuddler design with a cut-out front, which makes it easy for Chis to get on and off. The step-in design also makes it easier for old and sick Chihuahuas to access.
This has a fiber-filled pillow cushion that’s also reversible to change the look of the bed. The cover is also machine washable for your convenience.
Moreover, the Furhaven Snuggery Dog Bed has a foam support wall that gives your Chihuahua an added sense of safety. The exterior sides have soft flannel fabric and faux lambswool to prevent irritation.
I also like the water-resistant base that prevents spills and moisture from getting into the foam. The zippers are also hidden to avoid injuries.
If you have a picky Chihuahua, this might be the right bed. You can get this in small to XL sizes, though small is more than enough for Chis. But if you have a larger than usual Chi, I recommend getting one size up as this bed tends to run slightly small.
Also, this bed is available in a fiber-filled base and an orthopedic version. I recommend the orthopedic base for senior Chihuahuas for optimal joint support. You can also choose from a variety of colors and prints.
The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed
The Dog’s Bed is one of the leaders when it comes to orthopedic dog beds. I personally love their small beds that are 4-inch deep, perfect for all Chihuahuas. However, this doesn’t have bolstered sides, which can be an issue for Chis with severe anxiety. Other than that, this bed is a champ when it comes to joint support and comfort.
Moreover, this dog bed is an excellent preventative measure for young dogs. Since it reduces the stress on a canine’s joints, it will also help delay the onset of arthritis and other orthopedic issues. And during senior years, The Dog’s Bed will continue to provide a better quality of life to your Chihuahua.
This dog bed has 2-inch high-density memory foam on top of 2-inch support foam. Overall, it provides comfort without giving your Chihuahua the sinking feeling of other memory foam beds.
Aside from that, this has a fleece top, which is soft and gentle to the dog’s coat. On the side, the cover has an embroidered The Dog’s Bed logo, which is a sign of authenticity. This cover is removable and machine-washable.
Overall, this bed is trusted by thousands of pet owners. You can also choose from four different colors to match the motif of your home.
The only downside I see on this bed is that the bottom material is a bit noisy. My quick fix is to put it on top of a rug, which also prevents it from sliding on the floor.
SAVFOX Original Calming Dog Bed
Does your Chihuahua prefer plush dog beds? If so, you’ll never go wrong with the SAVFOX Original Calming Dog Bed. This is a round and plush bed covered with faux fur that mimics a mother’s dog touch. It helps reduce anxiety, especially for young Chihuahua puppies.
Moreover, this dog bed has a donut-shaped design with a recessed center, so your Chihuahua can snuggle. The bolsters are 8 inches thick, which will give a sense of safety.
It also has a virgin cotton and nylon filling that make the bed very soft and self-warming. And if you see that the bed is getting flat, you just have to shake and massage it a bit to bring back the floof.
I also like that this dog bed is machine-washable for hassle-free maintenance. It also has protective padding that makes the bed last longer. And to keep it fluffy and soft, I recommend cold water washing and air drying. This will prevent damages to the fiber filling.
Overall, this is available in five colors and a wide range of sizes. For Chihuahuas, the XS and small ones are more than enough.
Just note that the outside material of this bed can turn too shaggy if you don’t wash it properly. Also, I noticed that this isn’t very plump at the bottom, but my Chihuahua doesn’t seem to care.
Bedsure Small Round Dog Bed
Do you want a stylish and comfy dog bed at a small cost? Bedsure is for sure the best choice. This has a bucket design with a removable pillow cushion. You can flip the cushion to suit the comfort level of your Chihuahua.
One side of the pillow cushion has a microfiber fleece cover, while the other has water-resistant oxford fabric. This allows you to match the bed to the weather, so your Chi remains comfy all the time.
I also like that they added an interior layer, which is the same technology used for warm blankets. At the bottom, this Bedsure dog bed has a non-skid material to prevent it from sliding around.
Moreover, this dog bed is completely washable! This is extremely convenient, much so if your Chi is prone to accidents.
For this price range, I’m more than happy with this purchase. It’s a must-buy for Chihuahua owners who are on a budget but still want to treat their Chi with a luxurious cot.
The front has a slight cut-out, which makes it easier for Chihuahuas to get on and off the bed. However, if you have an arthritic dog, this height will still be inconvenient for the pooch to climb. Also, the cover of this bed may not last on a Chihuahua with chewing issues.
Also, I noticed that this dog bed is noisy, which can be a problem for nervous dogs. Other than that, this is genuinely for the money.
Carhartt Canvas Dog Bed
The Carhartt Canvas Dog Bed is made of cotton duck canvas paired with a plush Sherpa top for utmost comfort. Inside, it has a polyester fill that remains plump and in shape. I also like that the bed is puffy, which gives a hugging filling to Chihuahuas while they are sleeping.
This dog bed is made with the same material Carhartt uses on their bibs and jackets. This means it can withstand mild chewing and scratching. It’s also triple stitched for utmost durability that will last for years.
Moreover, this dog bed has YKK durable metal zippers hidden under a zipper flap. The polyester filling is also removable and washable like the cover.
You can also use this dog bed inside your pet’s crate. Just make sure you get the small size for Chihuahuas, as these beds tend to run large. As a bonus, this dog bed is available in various brown to black colors.
But since this is a durable bed, it’s also more expensive than other options in the market. Still, every dollar is worth it in the long run.
Take note that this is way softer than most plush beds. If you have an arthritic dog, the pooch will have a hard time getting a good footing on this bed. But for most healthy young pups, it would be an amazing feature.
INVENHO Dog Sofa Bed
The INVENHO Dog Sofa Bed is an orthopedic bed made of polyester fiber filling. It also has a breathable fabric cover that will keep your Chihuahua comfy.
I also like the raised sides of this bed that your Chi can use as a pillow. There’s also a front cut-out to make it easier for your pet to enter the bed, even those with joint problems.
This dog bed mimics the feel of a mother dog’s fur, which can help in calming a nervous Chihuahua. At the bottom, this has a non-skid lining that also prevents moisture from getting into the fiber fillings.
Moreover, this dog bed is completely washable using cold water. You can also machine-dry this INVENHO bed, but air drying will let it last longer.
Aside from that, many pet owners use this as their dog’s crate bed. It’s also a good bed for older Chihuahuas and canines that underwent surgery.
However, this dog bed isn’t the best choice if your Chihuahua has aggressive chewing problems. It’s also not as squishy as other dog beds, but it remains comfortable nonetheless.
How to choose the best dog beds for Chihuahua
Due to the boom of the pet industry, there are literally thousands of dog bed options. To find what’s best for your Chihuahua, here are the things you need to consider:
✔️Select the right type
The first thing you have to decide upon is the type of bed you’re going to buy for your Chihuahua. There are many options in the market, but the following are the most common options of pet owners:
- Orthopedic dog bed. These are made of memory foam to diffuse the pressure points on your canine’s joints. It’s suitable for all dogs, especially old and ailing Chihuahuas. However, since it’s made of memory foam, it can be hot to sleep on during summer, but it’s the coziest in winter.
- Pet sofa bed. This is called a ‘sofa’ because of the design. It has bolstered sides except for one to make it easier for your Chi to get on and off. Some of these beds are also elevated from the floor.
- Donut dog bed. These are round beds with bolstered sides that resemble a donut. This is a great choice for Chihuahuas since they love snuggling and denning.
- Cave dog bed. This type of dog bed has a top cover with a small opening. This is suitable for Chihuahuas with severe separation anxiety. It’s also a warm choice, especially if your place experiences harsh winters.
- Outdoor cot. Unlike other dog bed types, this one uses a canvas fabric as a sleeping surface. It doesn’t have a cushion and is instead equipped with a sturdy frame. This is often the choice for large and destructive canines, but not much for Chihuahuas. However, the upside here is that dog cots allow proper ventilation.
- Pillow dog bed. These are plush beds, but it doesn’t offer a lot of support on your dog’s joints. Still, it’s suitable for young Chihuahuas that prefer a softer sleeping surface.
✔️Consider your dog’s preference.
Another thing you should consider is the preference of your Chihuahua. Some pet owners have to purchase a few beds to find the best match for their Chi.
If your Chihuahua prefers to sleep on your bed or couch, you should consider getting a firmness and material similar to it. This way, your Chi will find it easier to adjust to its new sleeping area.
Aside from that, you should factor in the health of your dog. Chihuahuas with mobility issues should be given a bed that’s easy to access without having to jump or lift their paws too high.
✔️Get the right dimensions.
When it comes to dog beds, the size is often a make-or-break part. You have to make sure that the bed can accommodate your dog’s body without feeling too cramped.
You should measure your dog’s nose up to the base of its tail while standing. After that, measure your dog’s height up to the shoulder blades. Once you have the measurements, add 6 to 12 inches then you’ll have the right fit.
Most of the time, a small dog bed is suitable for Chihuahuas. However, teacup or toy ones can fit in XS or XXS beds, though small or XS is the sweet spot for most Chi owners.
✔️Choose the best material.
The material of the dog bed will directly affect the comfort level of your dog. It’s important to choose one that’s comfy but still durable against wear and tear.
For the material, you have to check two things: the filling and the cover.
For the filling, you’ll often choose between foam and polyfill fibers. Most beds use some type of foam, which can be memory foam, latex foam, or PU foam. All of these are comfy, but memory foam offers the best support on a dog’s body. Nevertheless, you can find dog beds containing combined layers of these foam types.
On the other hand, poly fibers are often used on the bolsters of dog beds. The likes of donut and pillow beds also use this material on the sleeping surface to make it plush. However, it doesn’t offer enough support to a dog’s joints.
As for the cover, dog bed manufacturers use a wide range of options. You can find dog beds with suede, polyester, cotton, Sherpa fleece, nylon, oxford fabric, and so on.
Of all of these types, nylon and polyester are the easiest to clean. However, these two fabrics produce noise whenever the dog moves on the bed.
For utmost comfort, suede and fleece are the top favorites of Chihuahua owners like me. However, it can be hard to sleep on during summer.
In the end, your choice of dog bed cover should be based on comfort and quality. Don’t worry because many brands sell cover replacements for the dog beds they sell.
Next, you have to consider how easy it is to clean the bed. Always look for dog beds with removable and machine-washable covers, so you don’t have to deal with the fur and dander manually.
Aside from that, the cover should have durable zippers that will last for years. This way, you won’t have to perform frequent mending in case your Chi happens to rip a portion of the cover.
✔️Value for money
Lastly, look for a Chihuahua bed that will give the best value for money. While you can get the cheapest option, it’s still best to invest in your dog’s sleep. Get one that will last for years, because in the end, a quality bed that costs more will save you more money.
Try to look for dog beds with warranty terms, so you can send them back or get a refund in case your dog doesn’t like it.
My proven methods in giving Chihuahuas a good night’s sleep
Aside from getting your Chihuahua a comfy bed, the following methods help in letting your dog sleep through the night:
- Don’t forget about potty breaks. Chihuahuas are small dogs, so they tend to go for potty breaks more often than bigger breeds. It’s important to let your Chi go potty before bedtime. I schedule this 30 minutes before bedtime, so my doggo would be comfy at night.
- Keep the environment quiet. Like us, Chihuahuas also need a quiet space for sleep. Since canines have heightened hearing, they are sensitive to noises. Still, some Chihuahuas thrive in white noise like a radio on low volume or calming music.
- Tire your dog out. A tired Chihuahua is a sleepy Chihuahua. A short playtime session an hour before bedtime can help the doggo slow down for bedtime. However, you shouldn’t overdo this as Chis are small canines.
- Give a hearty meal. About 30 minutes before its last potty break of the day, you should give your Chihuahua its dinner. This will prevent hunger pangs at night, which are one of the culprits to interrupted sleep.
- Don’t let the pooch sleep in your room. Many pet owners are guilty of letting their pets join them in their beds. But for a small breed like Chihuahuas, this isn’t a smart choice. You should give your Chihuahua its own corner for sleeping.
- Put the Chi on a crate. Another effective way to help your Chihuahua sleep through the night is by crate training. This mimics the denning instincts of dogs, which provides a calming effect. Also, this will prevent your Chi from having accidents all over the house, given that it’s been properly potty trained.
- Set and follow a routine. Dogs are beings of habit, so they thrive on a schedule. It’s best to set a specific bedtime, so your Chihuahua can predict its daily activities. This will also prevent stress due to sudden changes in the household.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do Chihuahuas like blankets?
A: Chihuahuas like to burrow for safety, so that a blanket would be a great addition to their bed. Weighted blankets for pets are also a good choice, but make sure that it’s not too heavy for your Chi. Also, you should wash the blanket regularly to ensure that it’s clean.
Q: Should Chihuahuas sleep with you?
A: It’s not a good idea to let a Chihuahua share your bed. They are small, and you can easily injure them with a wrong turn. Also, dogs will disrupt your sleep because of their barky and yappy behavior. Overall, it’s better to teach your Chihuahua to sleep independently on its own sleeping quarters.
Q: Do Chihuahuas prefer soft or hard beds?
A: Chihuahuas don’t have a specific preference over their own beds. However, experts suggest that it’s best to provide your dog with an orthopedic dog bed that supports its joints. This will help reduce strain on the dog’s joints to delay the onset of canine arthritis and other orthopedic issues.
Q: Do dogs need a bed in their crate?
A: It’s advisable to put a bed inside your Chihuahua’s crate to keep it comfortable. You can also turn the crate into your pet’s sleeping spot whenever you’re away from home. Just make sure that the dog bed and crate are the right sizes to suit your dog.
Q: How often should I change my Chihuahua’s bed?
A: Most dog beds can last for a few years, depending on the level of wear and tear. Once the bed is flat and ridden with damages, you should consider getting a new one. It all depends on how worn out the dog bed gets and how large your Chihuahua grows.
Q: Why does my Chihuahua not like its new bed?
A: Dogs will show aversion to new items you bought them. This is because the item smells differently than the others they have at home. Don’t worry because most Chihuahuas will acclimate to the new bed once they realize that it’s harmless and comfy. You can help your dog like the bed by feeding treats on it.
The best dog beds for Chihuahua will help keep the tiny canine comfortable. Just make sure that it has durable material and a soft cover that your pet will like. You should also consider the preference of your Chihuahua to get the bed it will like.
What do you think of these dog beds? Which one do you like for your Chihuahua? Let us know below!
Here at ILoveChihuahua, we share our personal experiences as owners of this feisty breed. We talk about recommended methods, dog supplies picks, and advice on common Chihuahua problems. Our goal is to promote responsible dog ownership, so there would be fewer Chihuahuas in shelters.